Saturday, December 17, 2011

Rio

I have really been enjoying riding Rio lately. When she first arrived Rio was an interesting case, she was very insecure with herself and me, and she constantly challenged to see what she could get away with. She wouldn't stand to let me get on, she tried to just run off, she would turn her but to me when I asked her to do anything in her stall, she tried to run over me on the ground, just to name a few of the little quirks that Rio possessed. I approached starting her training just like she wasn't broke at all and try to fill in some gaps and curb some of the bad habits. She responded well to this, until it came time to get on. As soon as I stepped up into the stirrup, she wanted to take off. I stepped down and worked her until her attention came back on me, then I was able to step up easily. That is when I saw that she just checks out, and completely tunes out the rider. I thought that I would need to be a very good assertive leader for her, I would need to keep her attention on me. I knew that Rio wasn't going to be a horse that I could just sit on and fall asleep with, she needs to know that I am there for her. That has been the methodology up to this point, when she gets worried about things, I need her to look to me for instructions not just take matters into her own hands. Lately all the bad habits are ceasing and she is starting to relax rather well. I think that she is starting to relax because she is realizing that she doesn't have to bear all the pressure of the ride any more, she can look to me for guidance. She still has a long way to go but we have made great strides in the right direction. All that Rio needed was to realize that she didn't need to worry so much, I was in control of the situations. I look forward to writing more in the future. Until next time, God Bless, BW

No comments:

Post a Comment